Santa is coming to town! Mark your calendar’s for Saturday, December 16th. Santa will be at the Community Center starting at 10:00 AM. The Lion’s Club will be giving away Hams and Turkeys starting at 11:00 AM. Come join the fun!
The City of Afton passed a new ordinance effective 11/23/17 regarding livestock located on any residential or mobile home zoned lots. Below are the details:
85.01 (4). “Livestock” means an animal belonging to the bovine, caprine, equine, ovine, or porcine species, ostriches, rheas, and emus; farm deer as defined in Section 170.1 of the Code of Iowa; or poultry.
85.20 LIVESTOCK: It is unlawful for a person to keep livestock on residential and mobile home zoned properties within the city except by written consent of the Council. Permit application required with consent of the Council depending on:
- Property location
- Number & type of animal(s)
- Size & location of enclosure(s)
- Sheltering accommodations
- Proximity to neighbors
- Waste management methods
85.21 LIVESTOCK PERMIT: If the City Council concludes as a result of the permit application that the requirements for a permit have been met, then a permit is issued. The City Council may deny, suspend, revoke or decline to renew any permit issued for any of the following grounds:
- False statements on any application or other information or report required by this section to be given by the applicant.
- Failure to correct deficiencies noted in any notice of violation in the time specified in the notice.
- Failure to comply with the provisions of an approved mitigation or remediation plan by the City Council.
- Changes made to original approved permit.
- Failure to comply with any provision of this chapter.
A decision to revoke, suspend or deny a permit shall be in writing, delivered by certified mail or in person to the address indicated on the application. The notification shall specify reasons for action. The application may request a hearing with the City Council within 10 days of receipt of the notice. The applicant or permit holder will be given the opportunity for a hearing. The decision of the City Council hearing the appeal, or any decision by the Council which is not appealed in accordance to this chapter shall be deemed final action.
Residential Lot for Sale in Afton
Measures 60′ x 120′ and is zoned residential
contact City Hall at 641-347-5224 for more details – Click here for Flyer
RECYCLING CALENDAR – 2017
PLEASE NOTE: The attached schedule has an error in December
the correct dates are December 6 and 20. The new 2018
will be posted next month.